[AMPS] Linear Amplifiers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Linear Amplifiers
From: w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 08:51:13 +0000
To: <amps@contesting.com>
> Date:          Tue, 29 Jul 97 01:56:01 +0000

> >Not true, audio amplifiers can use any configuration.  Most audio
> >amplifiers are single ended, unless high power is needed.
>
> The only audio amplifier configuration listed in the Eimac technical
> specification sheets is push-pull.  This discussion is not about low
> level amplification, Mr. Rauch.

Once again, just because you don't find something in a certain book
or spec sheet, it does not mean it does not exist.

> Period equals 1/frequency.  Class A broad-band amplifiers--such as those
> used in receive applications--amplify waveforms that change in
> period/frequency.   Tube-type high power linear amplifiers are band
> specific.  To change frequency, one needs to change the bandswitch.

You have a strange definition of period. Is the period of a 7.001 Mhz
signal the same as a 8.001 MHz signal? If I generate a broadband
spread spectrum or frequency hopping signal is it coherent? What
about high power noise?

> - We have been talking about high power tube-type RF linear amplifiers.
> Mr. Rauch is talking about RF amplifiers in a receiver.  [AMPS] is not
> about receiver amplifiers.

Amplifiers are amplifiers. RCA and others used grounded grid
amplifiers in TV receiver front ends and pre-amps, just as high
power amplifiers can be single ended or push-pull, cathode or grid
driven.

The configuration is NOT limited by some sort of frequency or
power rule, as you are trying to imply. When the definitions of
various configurations are examined, there are no frequency or
"coherency" restrictions.

Are you trying to say we see MORE high power tube type amplifiers
used in push-pull circuits at audio frequencies than we usually see
at RF?

That might be true, if we limit it to tube type PA's. If we include
solid state PA's we probably see more push-pull RF than audio!

73, Tom W8JI