[AMPS] Re: doorknobs

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: doorknobs
From: w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 10:36:20 +0000
To: <amps@contesting.com>
> Date:          Sun, 3 Aug 97 19:43:24 +0000

> i'd sure like to know where to get doorknobs for $5... the best stock
> of them that i know of is in the midwest (the cornhusker state) but
> they want *lots* more than $5 for them!!

The price of "surplus" doorknobs offered by some vendors is often
over three times the wholesale NEW cost of the same component.

If you want doorknobs, try Fair Radio or hamfests.

I'd use HV chip capacitors in the loading system, since they are
available in NPO values with Q's of 10,000 or more. Also available
are "snubber micas", they are 1000-2000 volt high current silver
mica's.

I've been trying to encourage Ameritron to sell NEW components at a
reasonable markup, since they use large quantities of 170 and
500 pF doorknobs as well as 3 kV chip caps and snubber mica's. I've
been partially successful, the doorknobs are $10.95 and the chip caps
(much higher current rating but less voltage rating) are about eight
bucks. Snubber micas are about $1.50

RF Parts is a good source to check also, IMHO they are easier to
deal with than "take it as it is" surplus stores that charge top
bucks for old parts that might just have been rejects (some of the
surplus 8877's on the market were scrapped tubes from troublesome
batches).

73, Tom W8JI

(My opinions are my own. I am an independent consultant for several
manufacturers and government agencies. I have no vested interest or control
beyond supplying data and making suggestions. I do receive royalties tied to
the sales or use of certain paten
ted RF
medical devices.)