[AMPS] Tuning Up?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Tuning Up?
From: shortckt@primenet.com (Brian K. Short)
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 22:06:17 +0100
This question is likely too simple, but I'll ask
anyway: What is the "fool-proof" way to tune an
amplifier?

My amplifier is a Command HF-2500 and was used
this weekend for the SARTG RTTY contest (and it
was the first time it was ever tuned up by me on
a band desides 20m).

Somehow in tuning up on 80m with my antenna all
preset etc, I found a combination of settings in
which power out seemed to peak (a local peak).

Upon increasing drive and going to operation, I
noticed a lot of grid current. It took little time
to discover that the problem was mistuning, but I
must admit that sometimes tuning things up I feel
like a monkey twisting dials.

Can you help in providing a "fool-proof" solution
to tuning (one that works in the middle of the night
in the middle of a contest etc)?

I like to take the very best of care of my equipment
and hate to see excessive grid current even momentarily
(2x3cx800's).

Thanks in advance, Brian

Brian Short k7on@qsl.net http://www.qsl.net/k7on
 1994 E Laguna Dr Tempe, Az 85282 (602)839-3484