[AMPS] Q Swing

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Q Swing
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 19:09:45 EDT
To: <amps@contesting.com>
>> Date:          Wed, 20 Aug 97 16:42:51 +0000
>
>> Inductance is easy to determine with B&W coil stock. All you need is
>the
>> diameter and TPI and look it up in a B&W sheet. Since the inductance
>is
>> linear all you need to do is look up the total L for a  full 10"
>length
>> and then measure your lengths.
>
>Not a good method in the real world.

Maybe in your version of reality but not in the world the rest of us
inhabit.

The standard B&W coil tables have been a part of amp design for over 40
years and a "few" successful amps have resulted....including many QST,
Handbook and even Eimac articles.

As hams we are not striving for some Nirvana level of perfection nor
interested in a constant barrage of bull.
Follow the classic articles and you wont go wrong. Follow the crap and
you will wind up with a Mississippi Nightmare....or worse.

Tom makes a few very good points but since the average ham has no access
to the lab test equipment it is mostly moot. A reasonable error in the L
will make very little difference in reality. As Tom has mentioned
recently,  a Q of 8 or 12, etc is no big deal. If your variable C cant
handle that much of a fudge factor then YOU have a problem that needs
correcting.

A select few have strived to put amp design into an arena reserved for
the self annointed gods.  T'aint so. Get your hands dirty and find
out...start small and make a few mistakes...it is part of the learning
curve. Just remember to disharge the B+ while learning!

And learn to seperate the chaff from the chiff...or is it the other way
around?

73...Carl   KM1H

>Inductance changes by the square of the turns if the inductor has
>100% flux linkage from end to end. If it has no flux linking the
>turns, it goes up linearly. Stray C and flux coupling to other
>objects also affects the results.
>
>The poorest way to do a tank is to set the inductor by calculation.
>The best way is to set the capacitors and "prune the tank coil in" to
>thoise values under simulated operating conditions.

I agree with this concept but again it is somewhat out of the "amateur"
realm. For the average 500-1500W type amps from reputable publications,
just follow the article. Having a GDO, L/C bridge ( operating at 10MHz of
course...not 1 KHz) and other lab toys is fine but not a show stopper.

'nuff said today...Im off to lobsters with the family. (a benefit of the
laptop while Im up here in York Beach, Maine for the day )

73....Carl   KM1H