[AMPS] BTI amplifier(s)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] BTI amplifier(s)
From: nospam4me@juno.com (Skip S Isaham)
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 11:58:27 EDT
Hi Chris,

Yes, I also have a BTI in original condition. The 3-1000z tube is  real
expensive beast to buy should you need one. Your right to check things
over before applying power. I purchased mine with a bad tube in place,
turns out the old owner didn't have a chimney inside the amplifier and it
burned up two tubes. Other that the ugly automotive battery charger type
meters on the front panel, it keeps my 30S-1 good company.
I've heard of people using the 4-1000 in the older 3-1000z amps, but I'd
like to find a replacement (even used good output) tube to keep mine
original. I see the advertisements for the BTI company in older QST's.
"Uncle Bill (k6kzi)" used to run wescars on 40 meters with a hugh signal
for many years using a BTI, fired by some 90 proof operator lubrication.
It was a big help to keep "the flys' off the windshield" and "the
seaplanes on the ground".

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has done the conversion to
the 4-1000 tube in any amplifier and your thoughts on it's operation vs
the original tube.

Although it's use has been limited here, the amplifier has never shown
any parasitic problems in it's operation with the "dull tube" I have.

Cheers
Skip May   wv6f
nospam4me@juno.com