[AMPS] volts

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] volts
From: Peter.Chadwick@gpsemi.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 12:53:20 +0100
Rich said:

>IMO, the electric-mains is a greater danger.  With HV, the careless
idiot
>often gets blown clear.  With 120v/240v, he typically can not let go.
>Next stop, "Silent Keys" in *QST*.

It is claimed in many places that the most dangerous voltages are
between 400 and 1600 DC, as that usually leads to ventricular
fibrillation. Some people claimed  that sweep tube linears were safer
because the voltages were lower - another myth!

But having had a number of bad shocks in the past, I suggest being VERY
careful. It's surprisng, as Rich says, how many people get blown clear -
it happens on the 25KV overhead electric lines used here for the railway
- about 10% get blown clear, while very few survive the 750volt DC used
on the third rail systems here. That's not enough to rely on it, though.

73

Peter G3RZP