[AMPS] Amp Supply LK500ZA cooling? mods?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amp Supply LK500ZA cooling? mods?
From: DavidHarper@tx.slr.com (Harper, David)
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 16:25:49 -0500
Greetings.
I searched the archives (by Subject field) and didn't find anything
about the Amp Supply LK500ZA.  I purchased this amp Saturday from a
dealer at a swapfest for $600.  The main reason I got it was to have
something for 160M, which my L4 doesn't cover. It is putting out about
1100 watts on CW, which is fine with me.  However, it sure does seem to
me to be running hot.  The cabinet gets very hot very quickly.  I have
been in the habit of placing a 5" muffin fan (exhausting upward) on top
of the cabinet (over the tubes) of various gear in the past (S-line,
30L1, SB200, Warrior, etc) and that always made the cabinets quite cool,
but it is helping little if any in this case.  There doesn't seem to be
a lot of airflow coming out the side of the cabinet, either, although I
can hear the internal muffin fan running.  Has anyone else had this
experience with this amp?  I just wonder if the internal fan may need to
be replaced.

Also, are there any mods documented anywhere for this amp?  I don't
intend to rebuild it or do anything major, but if there are any major
design flaws that are simple to fix, or anything to watch out for, I
would like to know.  I will mostly be using the amp for DXing plus
occasional contesting, though I will drop the power a bit for any
extended duty cycling.   (The amp does not have the QSK or external
Hypersil transformer options).  Also, does anyone have a manual that
they might be able to copy a few pages of for me?  I got a copy of a
manual with it, but after getting it home I notice that there are some
pages missing.  Thanks!

73,
Dave WD5N    < DavidHarper@tx.slr.com >