[AMPS] Checking 3-500z tubes ??

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Checking 3-500z tubes ??
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 97 05:41:51 -0800
>Looking at the bottom of my 3-500z, it looks like a pentagon with the "lone
>pin at the
>top.  It and the 2 pins below it on both sides check with continuity with
>all three
>pins.  And the 2 pins that are the closest on the bottom also check with
>continuity.
>Would this tell me if the tube is good or not?
>Thanks....Steve
No.  To test a 3-500Z, one needs a high-pot. tester.  This is how I test
them:
1.  Gas check.  (cold)  Apply 8kV (current limited) between the anode and
the grid.  If there is a blue glow inside the tube, the tube is fatally
gassy.  Normal anode/grid leakage is under  10uA at 8kV.
2.  Bent filament helix check.  Apply increasing potential between the
filament and the grid.  Normal breakdown is 6kV to 9kV.  If the breakdown
v is lower, the filament is probably bent.  When hot, the filament to
grid clearance decreases, so a 3-500Z with a bent filament is likely to
short when the filament is hot.  IMO, 3-500Z filaments can be shorted to
the grid by two things:  10Gs in a centrifuge for about a minute with 6v
on the filament - and by intermittent vhf oscillations.  If you find a
3-500Z with a bent filament, it might be a good idea to measure the
resistance of the anode, vhf suppressor resistor.
-  IF the tube passes the above tests, it is probably safe to test its
emissive ability in amplifier.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K