[AMPS] Hunter 750

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Hunter 750
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 22:23:45 -0500 (EST)
At 08:32 PM 11/25/97 +0000, Bob MacLeod wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>The Hunter 750 is manufactured by Linear Amp UK. The one I have seems to
>work okay on all bands except 10M, giving around 700 watts out.
>
>However, on 10M the output is down to around 400 watts, although plate
>current is the same as the other bands (around 800mA).
>
>There are no antenna, feedline or matching problems that I can see.
>
>Is this a known problem with these amps?

Bob

As I remember the Hunter 750 is the last of the amp line made by Hunter Mfg.
They sold the designs/templates to a UK firm.  The 750 was only sold outside
the USA.  The circuit is based on the popular Hunter 2000C (a pp 8163's so
3-500Z's are a logical replacement).  Sort of a early version of the AL80 or
a new version of the Loudenboomer MK II originally designed by Radio
Industries and later sold as the Hallicrafters HT-45.

The 750 was designed to have the RF deck on one side and the PS on the
other.  I had a memograph write up from Hunter a few years ago.

A friend has the 2000B which puts out 1000W out on all bands but as I
remember only 700 to 800W out on 10.  Hunter (as many other amps) did not
have the right PA tank values for 10.  I have a Dentron 2000L which I
finally modified to get 1100W out on 10...before 600W out on a bird at max.

Also remember the amp was designed when max power in the USA was 1KW input
so 600W out was great in a 1/2KW amp.

Dave K4JRB