[AMPS] AL-80 heating

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL-80 heating
From: nw9g@netusa1.net (Steve Narducci)
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1997 23:17:21 -0500
I know that the newer AL80A and AL80B have different cooling configurations
in them
and their older AL80 amp which I own.  My question, how hot is too hot for
this amp
to get?  When running 1kw out in qso style for longer than 20 minutes, the
cabinet
gets so hot that it is uncomfortable to place my hands on it.  I have put a
new fan
from Ameritron on the amp and have taken off that little fan guard which
looks like
a screen on the back to no avail.  In looking at this amp, I notice that
the only
exit holes for the heat are located on the bottom of the amp which puzzles me.
Durring ss contest, I ran it at 400-500 watts because I was afraid of the
heating
problem if I ran it any harder.  Is this something that I should be
concerned about
and if so, is there any fixes for this other than removing the cover and
fooling the
cabinet switch?  Thanks guys....Steve