[AMPS] Automatic tuning of a VHF amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Automatic tuning of a VHF amp
From: ggeurts@amp.com (Geurts, Gerard)
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 11:43:34 -0000
>----------

In theory it is easy. If the triode is in grounded grid, the tube has a
purely resistive load when the cathode and plate voltages are exactly
180 degrees out of phase. This takes care of output capacitance etc. as
well. You need a way to detect the phase difference between the cathode
and the plate voltages and use this to drive a servo controlling 'tune'.

Problem is that you now measure one parameter (phase difference) and
need to control two variables ('tune' and 'load'), so you will need a
second parameter you can measure to control the 'load'. I guess output
power (or RF voltage at the output) could be used. It might be possible
to do something with grid current as well.

This is all theoretical. I have never tried to implement this in real

I would go for the eeprom option.

Gerard, MoAIU / PA3DQW / AA3ES