[AMPS] AUTOTUNING

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AUTOTUNING
From: davek@medphys.ucl.ac.uk (Dave Kirkby)
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 10:54:33 +0000
> I asked:
> >I'm contemplating making the tuning automatic. Does anyone have any
> >ideas of how it can be done ? I faintly remember seeing something
> about
> >adjusting the tuning until the anode impedance is completely real
> (i.e.
> >at resonance)...
>
> John Lyles wrote:
>
> Yes, the text you want to take a look at is "SSB Circuits and
> Systems",
> 1964, by Pappenfuss, Bruene, and Schoenike, (all of Collins Radio).
> This
> classic book has several chapters covering linear amplifiers, with
> special
> emphasis on tetrodes with distortion reduction techniques. The
> autotuning
> technique of using samples of the grid tank current and plate voltage
> drive a servomotor is discussed on page 166.
>
> It is stated there that you could also look at peaking screen current,
> indicate maximum load impedance on the tube(s). This would indicate
> also
> maximum plate voltage swing. But low Q output circuits may exhibit
> errors
> of 10 - 20 degrees of phase shift off resonance. Also, tubes that have
>
> secondary emission on the screen can run negative current (we have all
> seen
> this!!), and would make such circuitry useless.
>
> The preferred method to adjust a resonance tuning capacitor (or
> inductor)
> according to the authors is to use phase detectors made up of diodes
> in a
> bridge. To also autotune the loading of the amplifer, one must assume
> linear tube operation, and set another bridge with diodes to detect
> the
> ratio of ep to eg. In this case, the fixed relationship is set (proper
>
> output impedance value = correct loading) by a servomotor driven from
> this
> bridge, which controls the loading control (output capacitor in a Pi
> network).
>
> On page 217 is one such autotuned amplifer, a 2 - 30 Mhz two stage
> tetrode
> feedback amplifier with (3) 4CX250B family tubes in parallel, driven
> by (2)
> 6CL6's. Collins Radio sampled the grid RF voltage and the plate
> voltage. In
> a properly tuned amplifier, these are 180 degrees out of phase. On
> page 219
> is an even more complex beast, a three stage 45 KW amplifier, again
> autotuned throughout using the same principles.
>
> Some other references on autotuning:
> V. DeLong, "Automatic Tuning Techniques for SSB Equipment, Proc. IRE,
> pages
> 1766-1774,Dec. 1956.
> V. DeLong, "Automatic Tuning for High Power Transmitter, Electronics,
> pages
> [...]

Thanks for that, I'll chase the references. Since my PA is a triode,
note a tetrode, screen current is not an issue. I have directional
couplers in the output (already in place) and input (not yet made), so
measuring phases of the drive relative to the output will be simple
using a mixer, with the input and output drive applied to the RF and LO
ports of a mixer. Measuring the relative phases at the tube terminals
(cathode and anode) will be more difficult. This is all clearly a lot
easier at HF, where the phase shifts down short lengths of cable is
virtually zero. At VHF this will not be true, and will  be frequency
dependant, which may mean the system needs an elaborate calibration
technique - again fairly easy with a computer, but I dont fancy that.

--
Dave Kirkby  G8WRB
Department of Medical Physics,

Tel: 0171 209 6406 (International +44 171 209 6406)
Fax: 0171 209 6269 (International +44 171 209 6269)