[AMPS] series filaments

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] series filaments
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 97 08:59:29 -0800
>> From:          Peter Chadwick <Peter.Chadwick@gpsemi.com>

...snip...
>> So why thoriated? Is it
>> much cheaper or what?
>
>It is cheaper AND the tube is more forgiving.
amen
>The grids are not gold
>plated, so that source of trouble is gone.

True, but 3-500Zs fail from a bent filament helix.  [photo on p.15 in
9/90 *QST*}

>You can often heat the
>grids until they glow without grid damage.

True, as often as you like.  I have done it in a 3-500Z and there was
apparently no damage.  However, objects glow considerably at 700 degrees
C, and gold does not boil until it is heated to 2966 degrees C, so, I do
not see why a gold plated grid could not be heated to 700 or so degrees
without damage.

<... snip...
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K