[AMPS] The 8877 Saga

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] The 8877 Saga
From: w6frmarv@juno.com (marv gonsior)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 17:08:11 -0800
Hello Dick et al,

Thanks for your most interesting and informative explanation re the 8877
debacle etc.  You asked for some further "inside information" and I will
share a tiny bit.

In the late "80s, I attended an RF Expo show in Anaheim at the height of
the 8877 failures.  Naturally, I went into the Eimac booth and met a W7
engineer from their Salt Lake plant. I asked what he could tell me about
the problem as I had always wanted to use the tube but avoided it because
of the high failure rate that was being reported.  He willingly told me
about a number of problems that they had that resulted from the
production transfer from San Carlos to Salt Lake. Even without
intentional changes, the transfer of technology is always a high risk
operation as subtle, small unintentional ones can be a catastrophe as you
may have been suggesting about the oxide coating.

In particular, however, he mentioned the fact that they had substituted
some other non-noble metal for *platinum* that I presumed was a cost
reduction effort. Then he went on to tell me that the temperature
coefficient of the substitution was a large part of the failure mechanism
and I don't recall its location.  I didn't hear anything about a "cathode
dam" and possibly that may have been one in the same of what you
described.  So, for what it is worth........this is a little bit more on
the subject!

73,

Marv, W6FR