[AMPS] tube compatability

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] tube compatability
From: davek@medphys.ucl.ac.uk (Dave Kirkby)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 10:58:24 +0000
Steve Narducci wrote:

> is a 3cpx800a7 the same tube as the 3cx800a7 (difference being the
> "p").
> and can 3cpx800a7 be a replacement for the 3cx800a7 in my titan amp?
> thanks....Steve

The tubes are not the same - the 3CPX being desinged primarily for
pulsed use - the P indicates pulsed. However, you probably can use the
pulsed (3CPX) tube, but there is likely to be some differences, such as
heater voltage, current and input/output capacitances, that will
probably mean minor changes needed in the amp.  I don't have data handy,
so I can not say. This you can get from comparing the two data sheets.

I once asked Eimac a similar question about the differences between a
3CX5000A7 and YC156 (which they tell me is basically a 3CPX5000A7). They
were helpful in telling me what CW tube the pulsed tubes is similar to,
so one can use its data sheet to get operating conditions for the pulsed
tube. In my case, they told me the YC156 or 3CPX5000A7 was internally
identical (apart from anode) to the 3CX15000B7, and so to use the
3CX15000B7 data sheet as a basis for the YC156 or 3CPX5000A7.  This sort
of information is not possible to get from anyone without inside
knowledge at Eimac. I would ask them, you have nothing to loose.

In short, I'm sure it can be made to work, but might need a few changes
in the amp.

--

Dave Kirkby G8WRB
Department of Medical Physics,

Tel: 0171 209 6406 (International +44 171 209 6406)
Fax: 0171 209 6269 (International +44 171 209 6269)