[AMPS] SB220/SB221

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB220/SB221
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 97 11:48:39 -0800

>> Do other 3-500 z amplifiers exhibit the same spitting/arcing symptoms?. I
>> believe I read about the same kind of "strange" stuff happening with the
>> Kenwood 922 and 922a's. Am I correct?
>>
>> Len
>
>Len,
>
>This stuff isn't strange at all. Nearly all amps will arc if driven
>with modest to high drive power when the tank is undercoupled to the
>load.
>
>The tank has all that energy, and it has to do SOMETHING. If it can't
>deliver current it delivers voltage.
>
>What is "strange" is how many people are gullible enough to swallow
>the "parasitic" story.

During a telephone conversation with Mr. Rauch in late-1990, he told me
that he had seen plenty of parasitic damage in  the 400 SB-220s that he
had repaired.  Mr. Rauch did not design the SB-220.

If your amplifier arced mysteriously, it might be interesting to measure
the resistance of the VHF parasitic suppressor resistor.
... ...
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K