[AMPS] AL800HX vs, ETO91B vs Commander HF 2500

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL800HX vs, ETO91B vs Commander HF 2500
From: GAtkins@vines.ColoState.EDU (Gary Atkins)
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 97 7:33:11 -0700
I'd like to post the logic (I hope) behind my decision to purchase the QRO
Tec HF2500DX when I decided to retire (for several reasons :-) ) my home
brew 4-1000.

I wanted the 4CX800A grid driven tetrode design.  I wanted to avoid the
potential heartache of dealing with reportedly touchy hi-mu hi-dollar
triodes.   I thought the grid driven tetrode design with low drive
requirements a good way to go.  Svetlana has a good reputation with the
broadcast community, I thought that to be a pretty fair endorsement.

I felt that although the QRO possibly lacked some of the sophistication of
some of the competition it was significantly  more robust.   That I thought
was important.

The everyday use of the amp (mostly CW) has I feel  has borne out my
opinion.  I've made all the dumb mistakes late at night  that  most of us
manage at one time or another.  Wrong antenna, wrong band switch position.
The amp simply shuts it's self off and we go on about our lives.

Doing my best to not read things that support my particular method of
thinking between their lines I thought the recent QST evaluation of some of
the fine products available supported the decision I made.  The article is
good reading for anyone interested in purchasing a new amp today.

Thanks for the time
73
Gary
W0CGR

I could take way too much bandwidth but I must say the HF2500DX is a fine
amp, nothings perfect, but I'm very happy with this amplifier.