[AMPS] Rebuilding an MLA2500

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Rebuilding an MLA2500
From: ab4ru@stc.net (Ron Hooper)
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 00:55:56 +0000
fcady@ee.montana.edu wrote:

> I would like to try to rebuild a junker MLA2500.  This is a nice little
> amp but the tubes are pretty expensive to replace.  I think there was a
> discussion about this on one of the reflectors a while back about
> re-tubing the MLA with a less expensive tube.  Can anybody give me some
> more information?  Has anybody actually done this or know of someone who
> has?  What would be a fair amount to pay for an MLA that needs tubes?
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Fred KE7X

Hi Fred,
  I owned one of the MLA2500's for several years but never made the mod
to change the tubes out. The guy I sold it to, put it on 6 meters with a
single 3cx800. I am sure a single 3cx800 would work fine on HF as well.
One of the guys that works for Sevetlana W4OIW changed the 8875's to
4cx400's. I think he can be reached at their 800 number and was one of
the first to install the 4cx400's a couple years back in those amps.
  The price for the amp in the flea market with bad tubes are between
200 and 300 dollars. With good tubes it goes for 450 to 600, probably
depending on the tube condition. If you buy one and convert the tubes to
something else the tubes will bring a 100 or more easy, if their good.
Lots of folks looking for 8875's to repair their MLA's
You might want to figure on replacing the HV filter caps also if that
has not been done in several years.
cya..Ron W4WA