[AMPS] What amp to build

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] What amp to build
From: realex@flash.net (bob alexander)
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 16:00:10 -0600
J.D. Colville wrote:

> I have one each of a 3CX3000a7 with a socket and chimmney, and also a
> 4CX5000r with a socket
> and chimmeny.   I have most all the rest of the parts to build a LARGE
> amplifer.
>
> What is your opinion on what tube I should use to build an amplifer?
> All input would be appreacted!  All the exciter drive that I have is 5-110
> watts
>
> 73 and thanks
> Jim W7RY
>
> --
Jim,
I would go with the 4cx5000 even though it will require more effort.
I built a 3cx3000 amp a while back and had more problems than I
expected.  The 3000 wants lots of drive to really perform (over 300
Watts)so with only 110 max drive available, the tetrode is the best
choice.
Who made the socket and chemney for the 3cx3000?  The one I had came out
of a RF deck for a plasma reactor made by Henry Radio.
73, Bob
W5AH