[AMPS] HV Supply help...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HV Supply help...
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 98 14:32:28 -0800
>I am in the process of building
>a HV supply for my 4cx250 Amps... I have a Hammond xfmr which is
>1620-0-1620 or 2350-0-2350 AC out at 750 mA which is probably de-rated
>to those specs due to CSA stringency... I am building a Bridge
A bridge is going to deliver around 3000v on the low tap and 4000v on the
high tap, using a resonant choke filter.  3kV is way too much potential
for a 4cx250.  A fullwave ct rectifier on the high tap, with a
resonant-choke filter should do about right.
> using
>1N5408 diodes in 5 seies strings with 500k resistors and .01 1KV bypass
>caps...
do your diodes a favor and leave off the RC shunts.  The reason why is
explained in the new Handbook.
>I have a Hammond 5 Hy 1000mA 5kV Choke 70 ohms
sounds good.  I'm guessing roughly .2uF at 7kV to resonate it.
>....... I have 22uF at 4000v
>of  capacitance
much more than what is needed with a resonant-choke filter.
cheers, Jordan
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K