[AMPS] Philips 5868 ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Philips 5868 ?
From: jtml@lanl.gov (John Lyles)
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 12:31:50 -0700
Dave,

Weeks ago, (2/7/98) Alek Petkovic - VK6APK, asked about using a Siemens
RS1016. The Philips/Amperex 5868 is compatible. These tubes are industrial
trides, low mu, virtually useless for amateur linear amplification. For raw
RF which doesn't care about the load, such as in a dielectric heater, they
are great. I completely described the tube on 2/9/98, perhaps you can check
the archives of this reflector on the web to read it again. To summarize,
the mu of the 3-500Z is 130, the 5868 is 28. You would have low gain, and
cannot bias these at zero bias grounded grid without cooking them, as the
plate current would be high during idling.

>               I was hoping that someone could help me? I have a Philips
>5868 or TB
>4/1250 glass tube. Anyone have any idea as to what this tube may
>be....spec..etc. Thank you.
>
>       Dave VE3DXV

John
K5PRO