[AMPS] PT-2500A success story

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] PT-2500A success story
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 98 02:36:02 -0800
>Just to add my two cents worth...
>
>I own a Viewstart (not B&W) PT-2500A amplifier that was purchased by a
>friend as the demo unit from the Dayton Hamvention in 1984.

-  used tubes

>This amp was
>used at his QTH for mid-level contesting for seven years before I bought
>it.  Since 1991 it has been the 160 and 10 amp at K8CC where it has endured
>lots of hard use in multi-multi contesting.  If you look at the results of
>the ARRL and CQ contests since 1990, you'll find K8CC (piloted by my good
>friend W8MJ) in the top ten virtually every year.  Last year GW4VEQ
>reported he could copy us 3-1/2 hours after his sunrise with that little
>PT-2500A
>
>This amp has been used at one time or another on every contesting band from
>160-10 in a multi-multi setting from K8CC.  It has never arced, spit, or
>failed in any way.

Have you perchance tried a set of 'out of the box' new tubes in it?  Most
amplifiers never oscillate, however, some apparently do.  .  .  24 Space
Shuttle went off with nary a hitch before the glitch.

>The only mod is a muffin fan on the top for a little
>additional cooling.  I'm not saying the amp is bulletproof or
>fool-resistant, but its been a good amp here so some of the criticism ring
>hollow to me.
>
>It really bugs me how the so-called experts on this reflector will toss
>potshots at commercial designs just because of some flaw that they percieve
>due to their pet personal peeve.  Give the rest of us a break - we're tired
>of hearing the same drivel in e-mail after e-mail.

Whoever is forcing you to read tiresome drivel should stop forthwith.

>Dave Pruett, K8CC

Whatever is causing the Tune C to arc in Kevin's PT1000 is unlikely to be
anybody's "pet personal peeve", Mr. Pruett.  Kevin would like to get the
problem fixed.  Based on the circumstantial evidence, I'm guessing that
parasites have taken flight.  If I am wrong, I will be laughed at.

cheers
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K