[AMPS] RIW amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RIW amps
From: amps@txrx.demon.co.uk (Steve Thompson)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 08:52:20 +0000
In message <19980325.172532.7847.3.km1h@juno.com>, km1h @ juno.com
<km1h@juno.com> writes

>On Wed, 25 Mar 1998 15:35:20 +0000 Mike Willis <m.j.willis@rl.ac.uk>
>writes:
>

>>OK. Many K2RIWs do not work while other seemingly identical ones do.
>>Why?
>
>Attention to detail is the key. That design is 100% reproducible ...IF
>you follow it exactly. Any deviation requires a pretty good knowledge of
>the "gotchas".

I traded for one and had fun too. My simple view of it is that there is
high loaded Q (narrow bandwidth) and limited tuning range. Minor
variations in construction, valves or almost anything else can leave you
unable to get the right anode load line, or even get the thing on tune
at all. I got mine working just about acceptably because I have a lab
full of rf test gear. Trying to sort it out with just a 70cm rig would
have been impossible or sheer fluke.

If you have problems, sell it and buy a 3CX800.

Steve