[AMPS] Mixing Tubes in an SB-221

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Mixing Tubes in an SB-221
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 14:38:07 EST
On Thu, 2 Apr 1998 13:20:43 EST KF0FX <KF0FX@aol.com> writes:
>Here's the problem.  I have an SB-221 with one dead Eimac 3-500Z and
>one that
>seems to be working okay (both tubes have been in the amp since 1982).
> The
>bad tube seems to have 0 cathode emission.  Emission on the good tube
>seems to
>be okay.  What is the implication of purchasing a single, cheap tube
>replace the bad Eimac?

Replacing with a good used Eimac is fine. I would not recommend mixing
brands or putting in a single new Eimac.
Zero emission and yet the filaments light? Are you sure the grid
circuitry at the socket is not open? Have you swapped into the other
socket?

  What problems can I expect?  I know that it's
>probably
>a good idea to replace both tubes at the same time, but I'm trying to
>squeeze
>some more life out of the amp before I have to invest too much money.

I'll buy it as-is.

>FWIW, I suspect the bad tube was damaged when parasitic oscillations
>ran
>through the thing a couple of years ago.  Since then I have re-worked
>the amp
>to eliminate the problem.

I'll consider  the aliens first!

73  Carl  KM1H

>73's
>Chris, KF0FX
>KF0FX@aol.com
>
>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]