[AMPS] 3CX3000A7

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3CX3000A7
From: vk6apk@faroc.com.au (Alek Petkovic)
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 17:53:27 +0800
Hello all,
             My friend and I are contemplating a monoband amp based on the
3CX3000A7 tube. A look at the Eimac spec sheet shows 410 Watts drive for
AB2 Cathode driven.

This doesn't seem very practical if you only have 100W of drive. On to grid
driven AB2 specs. They show a very conservative output of 1.13KW with 11.5W
of drive. Surely it can be driven a bit harder than that. The output figure
for cathode driven is 7.26KW! What are the limiting factors of a grid
driven amplifier using this tube. I mean if you are going to burn over 350W
just to run the filament, surely you would want to see more than 1.13KW out.

We would like to try and put 100W on the grid. What sort of input circuit
would we need? Does anybody know the zero signal plate current? Would we
need neutralising?

Our alternative is to use a driver stage like  a 4-250A or the like but we
feel that it would complicate things.

Any good ideas would be greatly appreciated.

To any Aussies on this reflector, we know the max legal in Australia is
400W pep. We would never put this thing on the air. We would just like to
see if we can get it up and running. So spare us the lectures.

73 de Alek.