[AMPS] info on warped filaments

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] info on warped filaments
From: jtml@lanl.gov (John Lyles)
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:46:51 -0600
In Philips Technical Review, vol 6, No. 7, dated sometime in the 1930's I
think, (it's not on the pages i copied), there is an article titled "A
DISCHARGE PHENOMENON IN LARGE TRANSMITTER VALVES".

J. P. Heyboer of Philips discusses the flashover effect (Rocky Point
Effect) in high voltage transmitter tubes. He explains that the damage can
be considerable, and can be explained by the ponderomotive forces which
occur between branches of the filament as a result of the immense current
flowing in a flashover. He give calculations of the mechanical forces, and
then some precautions are explained, such as the addition of a series
resistance in the anode (plate) circuit.

I scanned the old paper and it is readable, for anyone who might inquire.
It can be emailed as a bitmap, each page (7 total) is over 300 K in size
for a PC. As a JPEG, it is more like 900K per page. Sorry I don't have
ability to put it on an ftp-able directory. However, if someone wants to,
please contact me via email.

John

K5PRO