[AMPS] Re:

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re:
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 17:25:47 EDT
On Fri, 17 Apr 1998 13:15:23 -0600 John Lyles <jtml@lanl.gov> writes:
>While we're on the parasitic subject (sorry to pump the ol'
>oscillators out
>there):
>
>I once had a disagreement with a competent RF designer of many years
>experience, who made big RF dielectric heaters using TPTG
>configuration,
>about parasites. He insisted that the oscillator could not have a
>parasite
>simultaneously and still work on the designed frequency. I said it
>could,
>that it could be simultaneously be making "non-harmonic" energy that
>could
>break things, or created uneven heating and hot spots. Also arcs
>around the
>tube and output electrodes. Does anyone have evidence to refute such
>advice? That an oscillator can, by nature, only work on one frequency
>at a
>time?

That is a very interesting question John and I would expect to see a wide
variety of replies.

I have never operated a QRO RF oscillator but have picked up many for
parts or conversion. These go from single 4-400A's up to 14KW water
cooled triodes. Not one has ever had a parasitic suppressor. Is there a
reason for this? Many/most were built by well known and competent
commercial companies...not some off the wall amateur garage operation.

73  Carl  KM1H

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]