[AMPS] parasitics

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] parasitics
From: jono@webspun.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 98 18:54:55 -0500
>[Dick Ehrhorn:]  Jon, I think it'd be much more accurate to say that
>(virtually?) all circuits contain parasitic reactances and therefore
>parasitic resonances, which lead to the potential for parasitic
>oscillations when used with many or most types of tubes.

You are absolutely correct.  Most of the time on HF, they are not a
problem.  However, even at VHF lead inductances and other circuits will
KILL a circuit.  I remember trying to build my fist VHF amp as part of my
senior project in college.  People told me to use mica caps.  So I put
some on a vector impedance meter and was I ever surprised - they looked
like inductors at 144 MHz!  I ended up using chip caps instead.

Anyhow Dick, you are correct.  But I was specifically talking about HF
tubes here which is why I didn't say all circuits.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden