[AMPS] qro 2500dx

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] qro 2500dx
From: wiley@interaccess.com (William Gode)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 12:47:45 -0500
Ed,

I own a QRO HF-2000/QSK (with a pair of 3-500s).  Bought it used, but
still under warranty.  Most of my answers would apply to the HF-2500DX.

1.  Customer Service is fine.  The owner usually answers the phone, or
    calls back.  (Sometimes you get the machine if everyone is busy.)
    E-mails have always been answered in detail, the same day as sent.

2.  The manual was quite complete and accurate.  The only thing not
    properly reflected was a change in the amplifier keying circuit
    to accommodate low voltage, low current switching, in lieu of the
    higher voltage, or 12 volt keying lines. Since my unit was used, I
    did not know about the optional change at the time it was built.
    The manual is VERY thorough, for both operating and trouble-shooting.

3/4 Overall design and construction are top-notch.  The amplifier uses
    very heavy-duty parts and is very nicely built.  The HF-2500DX is
    even more rugged than mine, especially in the transformer department.

5.  Tune-up is very smooth and can be done "by the numbers" for quick
    QSYing at full power.  I still think a pair of 3-500s in grounded
    grid makes more sense than a pair of tetrodes in AB1 and better
    utilizes the higher drive available from the high-end transceivers.
    I use 120 watts out of my TS-950SDX to drive my HF-2000 to 1500w out.

6.  On-air reports have been nothing other than excellent.  The power
    supply is the most rugged and the cooling system is the most quiet
    of any amplifier I've bought/built running a pair of 3-500Zs.  It
    includes 160, 17 and 12 meters, all on separate bandswitch positions
    and is very efficient on all bands.  Highly recommended.

73,

Bill, W9NHQ
Glenview, IL