[AMPS] QRO HF-2000

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] QRO HF-2000
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 21:37:31 EDT
On Thu, 23 Apr 1998 18:50:54 -0500 wiley@interaccess.com (William Gode)
writes:
>>QRO products seem to be rather scarce so your input is most welcome.
>>I have a few questions....
>>
>>What exactly does the 17 and 12M switch positions select? Independent
>>input networks? Independent output taps?
>
>The WARC positions select both independent input networks and
>independent
>output taps. (No 30 meter position!)
>
>>My biggest concern when I looked the QRO over at Dayton is the muffin
>fan
>>that blows over the two 3-500's that are in line. Perhaps someone can
>>explain how the second tube in line gets adequate cooling at the
>1500W
>>level??
>
>Yes, that bothered me, too.  QRO claims the single fan at the end of
>the tube compartment pressurizes the entire space and provides
>adequate
>air flow to cool both tubes in SSB or CW service.  For heavy-duty use
>they recommend an external muffin fan on top of the cabinet to pull
>out
>more air.  I haven't found it necessary to use an external fan, but I
>only use it "full-bore" for working new ones, not contesting.
>
>I can say that the HF-2000 runs much cooler than my Henry 2K-4, or
>Drake L-4B and is barely noisier than my PC.  The only thing I did was
>
>to add a pair of Eimac heat-dissipating plate connectors as I didn't
>think much of directly connecting the parasitic suppressor strapping
>to the plate pins with a simple loop and machine screw retention.
>
>QRO has a review of the HF-2000 on their web site.  My experiences and
>feelings pretty well echo that review.
>
>73,
>
>Bill, W9NHQ

Very informative Bill and tnx for taking the time to reply.  That air
flow concept is intriguing and something I will have to 'member.....never
saw that done before.

Now if there was only some easy way to just replace the 8875's in a
MLA-2500 with 8874's we could all retire.

73  Carl  KM1H

>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]