[AMPS] Quiet

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Quiet
From: pcmeas@hotmail.com (Arlen Mendelssohn)
Date: Fri, 01 May 1998 01:38:42 PDT
>kinda quiet without Carl around, isn't it?<

No, Jon, it's not.  I refer to your post:

>>...if the amp is being driven non-linearly, you will produce TONS of
crap where you don't want it.  Intermod is the technical name.<<

No, Jon, intermod is not the technical name.  He says he's seeing stuff
up to 350 MHz.  That's not an intermod problem, it's a harmonic problem.
Intermod is when you mix two signals together.  If I stuff 30 MHz and
30.1 MHz into the amp and I see 30.2 and 29.9, it's intermod.  If I
stuff 30 and 30.1 in and I get 60 and 60.2, it's harmonics.

He did not say where he put the probe.  If he put it near the anode,
then he's not getting the benefit of the lowpass action of the output
network, and I would definitely expect high order harmonics.  The only
way to use a "sniffer" and get decent results is to somehow closely
couple it to the final output of the amp, and nowhere near the anode.
The anode will always be worse than what you put on the air, and by a
wide margin.

Arlen