[AMPS] Polish Gold?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Polish Gold?
From: w5hvv@aeneas.net (Roderick M. Fitz-Randolph)
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 13:06:29 +0600
On Tue, 5 May 1998 at 08:52:56, George T. Daughters wrote:

>go polish some silver... the rag gets black
>go polish some gold...  the rag gets black
Sorry, the type A personality in me comes to the surface
when I see things like this.

I believe that, if the rag gets black when polishing gold,
that it is not from the gold but rather than the alloying
material in the non-24 karat gold you may be polishing,
but I would be surprised if the gold molecules did not
surround the alloying material sufficiently to keep even
that from happening!  Am I wrong?  I don't believe 24 karat
(pure) gold will turn any polishing medium black.

Rod, N5HV
w5hvv@aeneas.net