[AMPS] IMD and Harmonics.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] IMD and Harmonics.
From: jono@webspun.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Tue, 12 May 98 10:20:30 -0500
>>One fallout of this is that I cannot create a third order IMD product if
>>I do not create a second harmonic
>
>Sorry, it ain't so.
>
>For a transfer characteristic  of the form described, the third order
>components  do not produce a second harmonic, but they do produce a 3rd
>order IMD product. The math is too damn hard to type in here, but if you
>have access to Single Sideband Principles and Circuits by Pappenfus et al.,
>you'll fine the expansion on P181.

I agree with Peter again!  I will type in the math, but from all that I
can remember in my RF classes, we never discussed the fact that 3rd order
IM tones were related in any way to the harmonics an amplifier generates.
 Rather it's due to non-linear mixing of the two tones inside the active
device (in a semi-conductor it's the junctions that create the non-linear
mixing).

Anyhow, be looking for the math soon!

73,

Jon