[AMPS] Backfires

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Backfires
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 19 May 98 01:44:47 -0800
>>>Information that does not wash will backfire on its originator.  <<
>
>This is not true if the discussions are kept to physical and scientific
>principles and the parties involved can avoid ego competitions.

?  I am talking about scientific profferings that do not wash.   I am talking
about explanations of physical evidence that are not reasonable.   .  So Arlen,
do all "coils" act as RF chokes at VHF because inductive reactance increases
with frequency?

>A very
>intersting example can be seen in the Sring 1998 version of
>Communications Quarterly wherein Mr. Warren Breune ably demolishes
>claims by none other than Messrs Rauch, Maxwell (no, not THE Maxwell)
>and Belrose without once resorting to name-calling or referring to other
>theories they presented elsewhere, etc.
>
>There is a method for making claims which refute claims of others, and
>it is scientific.  Inventing mythical creatures such as the
>Rauch-schnauzer is merely inflammatory and detracts from, rather than
>adding to, true understanding.

During the grate parasitics debate, they nipped and yipped.  At one point,
there were four of them telling me that using a rheostat for controlling the
primary voltage on a filament transformer.("The Nearly Perfect Amplifier"
Jan-1994 *QST*) was bad engineering practice.

>I left amateur radio partially because of the ego battles that started
>appearing on the air, when amateurs were apparently beginning to explore
>exceeding the legal limit of (at the time) 1kW DC input.  Now, I gather
>a lot more amateurs flaunt the now-1500 PEP output limit (roughly 2X the
>limit of the fifties).

In the 1950s, it was perfectly legal to run 1000w DC input on AM, which, with a
Class C output stage, is roughly 3000w PEP output.

>And, from this discussion, I gather the ego
>battles are not contained on the airwaves.

Why not boycott such rot?

>A sad commentary on the direction in which this hobby has gone, but
>nearly predictable from the events of the fifites.
>
>Arlen

Are you disenchanted because the allowable PEP output decreased from c. 3000w
to 1500w?

Rich...