[AMPS] parasitics

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] parasitics
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 20:03:47 +0100
Jon Ogden wrote:
>So why don't we see more extensive damage in 3-500Z's with bent filaments
>if arcing is the real cause?
>
>I've asked this question at least twice and no one has responded to it
>yet.  So I am asking it again.

How much damage should you expect? I don't know.

Nobody has come up with a real explanation of how the forces necessary
to bend a filament are generated, applying the same principles as an
electric motor.

The other question that's still unanswered is what was the state of the
filament just before the event? Was it properly centered in the grid
cage... or was it already bent, so that even a small movement would
cause it to touch?

The same question can be asked about burned-out resistors etc: what
state were they in, just *before* the event?

I don't think anybody really knows, because even the "amplifier doctors"
and "post-mortem experts" don't start looking until *after* something
has gone wrong.

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek