[AMPS] Amplifier Layout Techniques: Positioning of Filament xfrmr

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amplifier Layout Techniques: Positioning of Filament xfrmr
From: jono@webspun.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Tue, 26 May 98 23:04:25 -0500
Hi all,

OK, here's another question for you amp gurus who have built several tube
amps.

I would like to move my 4-1000 tube farther back into my RF cabinet.  The
reason for this is that I would then shorten the distance between the
anode and the vacuum variable tune C significantly.  This I think would
help layout a lot.

The problem is that right where I want to move the tube is the filament
transformer.

What I was wondering is if anyone has moved their filament transformers
off their RF deck.  Instead of coming into the RF deck with 220 Volts and
going to the transformer why not just step the voltage down outside and
going into the RF deck at the filament voltage.  Yes, I know that you
would encounter some additional ohmic losses with a longer length of
wire.  Also there might be possible RF bypassing issues, etc.

Anyone have any ideas on this?  Is it kosher to do it or is moving the
transformer out of the RF deck asking for trouble?

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden