[AMPS] Re: your mail

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: your mail
From: jono@webspun.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu, 28 May 98 23:46:37 -0500
>I know that the 8877 was used in GE MRI's in the past.  This was about 5
>years ago.  In fact, I had heard that GE was using matched tubes from
>Eimac.  Every once in a while, they uncovered a defective tube, bad match
>ect.  GE used to simply disp[ose of the other tube, often brand new rather
>than try to match the odd ones up.

GE still uses tube amps.  I forget who manufactures them for GE.  The
only assembly done at their MRI facility is final system assembly.  So I
don't know where tube testing is done.  They were looking at going to
solid state PAs a couple of years ago (I was trying to sell them one) but
that whole deal got shelved.  There is still some interest to go to solid
state, but 20 KW pulsed solid state amps are rather expensive (the ones I
tried to sell cost $150,000 in small qtys).  So as far as I know they are
still using tubes.

>When I looked into it, the problem was getting on the list to be the
>official scrap vendor for GE.  I never followed it any farther than that.

It would be a good thing to do.

>There must be some hams that work at the GE plant in Wisconsin where they
>manufacture the MRI's......anyone know one???

There are.  I met one one day at Radio Recyclers in Milwaukee.  His card
is in my desk at work, so whoever asked this send me a private e-mail and
I'll give you his name.  I know there are some other ones too.

I am going to be seeing a couple of guys up there Monday (they are one of
my customers) and I'll nose around and see if I can find anything out.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden