[AMPS] Vacuum relays

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Vacuum relays
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 09:38:56 +0100
Gerard M0AIU/AA3ES wrote:

> hope you are not into CW contesting. A vacuum relay has a life of
>about 2 million operations. A serious CW contester will wear it out in 6
>days! And that is when the relay was purchased new.

I have been using some RF1  vacuum relays for switching the amp available a
few years back here at all the hamfests at about $7-50 each, new. (You can
tell we're not in Nebraska!) They were arranged so that the bias doesn't
come off the grid until the output relay has gone over: they are energised
for receive. I do not run QSK, but got a strange effect that received
signals would all go T4, and the received signal levels would drop. Tapping
the relay with a pencil would restore things. Now I don't know about 2
million operations, but in 9 years, they must have knocked up a fair few
operations even without QSK, especially when contesting.

I now have an open frame conventional relay: it's fast enough, and the
contacts are still arranged to prevent hot switching.

Gerard, how are the PIN diodes doing?

73

Peter G3RZP