[AMPS] Re:

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re:
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 98 14:14:51 -0800

>>>Resistors don't create resonances
>>>
>>I agree, Gerard.
>
>How can you agree, Rich, when even you admit there is no such thing as a
>"non-inductive" resistor?

To create a resonance one needs capacitance (the anode-C) and inductance
( principally the leads between the anode and the tune-C).  Resistors can
be in the current path of a L-C resonant circuit, however, resistors do
not create resonance.

>>  In this case, the suppressor resistor is connected in
>>series with an existing resonant circuit -- i.e., the anode-C, the anode
>>lead's total L plus the net X of the Tune-C, plus the chassis-L between
>>the Tune-C gnd and the grid or screen gnd.  .  For a 3-500Z, typical
>>values are 5pF  and c. 300nH.  Typical resonances are 100 - 150 MHz.
>
>Yes, you are correct here.  I think what I hear you saying is that the
>inductance of the resistor is small enough that it really doesn't have
>that much effect on the overal resonance of the anode circuit.

sort of

>It causes
>a slight shift, but not a huge one as Peter had suggested.  Do I read you
>correct?

The suppressor resistor needs to have little L so that the
higher-resonance will be well above the resonance through the (more
inductive) suppressor inductor.  Since the suppressor R has some
intrinsic L (hopefully under a dozen or so nH) - the suppressor slightly
decreases the resonant frequency.
-  later, Jon

Rich...