[AMPS] IMD

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] IMD
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 10:53:00 +0100
GW4FRX says:

>With the honourable exception of the EME world, where 1.76dB would be very
well worth having,
>hands up all those who think that the difference between 100 and 150W on HF
>is going to account for whether or not you get through the pile-up?

You can get the effect of far more dB gain by suitably programming the
device between the ears of the operator!

Generally, the high order IMD performance of bipolar transistors degrades
more rapidly than with tubes as you push the power. (If you like doing
Maclaurin expansions, you can prove it) I also believe that the classic 2
tone test does not exercise the amplifier as well as noise modulated at 10
or 15Hz (to give syllabic rate variation) or a three tone test with two of
the tones 15Hz apart.

73

Peter G3RZP