[AMPS] EIMAC 8874 tubes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] EIMAC 8874 tubes
From: dean_8p6sh@hotmail.com (Dean St. Hill)
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 20:36:14 PDT
I own an ALPHA 374A linear amplifier (early 1980 vintage) which has seen
only moderate use throughout its life. It was not working - not even
coming on and as a project and with the help of the great guys at ALPHA,
I rebuilt the control board and it seemed to be working OK except it
wasn't giving power expected. Then suddenly POWW!!! a huge flash in the
tube compartment and fuses blown. Now I don't want to even open it up
again. Here are my questions.
1. How can I tell if the tubes are blown?? (Preferably without powering
up)
2. If they are not OK where can I get a reasonably priced pair of these
tubes??
3. Is it worthwhile looking for used tubes at all??
4. Can I use tubes from theis russian company (Sveltena-or some similar
name)
Thanks and you can send replies direct or via the reflector.

73 Dean
8P6SH