N4KG: Re: [AMPS] ssb power

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: N4KG: Re: [AMPS] ssb power
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 20:03:55 -0600
This bounced when I tried to send it directly to Peter.

From: N4KG
To: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com
Subject: Re: [AMPS] ssb power
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 05:50:57 -0600

On Thu, 23 Jul 1998 15:13:11 +0100 Peter Chadwick
<Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com> writes:

>I need convincing that 2dB makes an enormous difference.Even in the
>case of
>the early opening - late closing situation, remember that 2dB is
>barely
>noticeable aurally. I think many other factors, such as (and not
>limited to)
>speech quality or keying fist, tone, tiredness of operator, QRM/N
>level (and
>type), comfort of headphones and chair, external distractions, etc
>have more
>effect on the whole. Note that I'm talking HF, not moonbounce/VHF
>where the
>noise is pseudo white Gaussian (unless there's somebody about with 1KW
>from
>a pair of 4CX250Bs - that's a different set of bets). It will also be
>statistical: there will be occasions where 1.8dB makes a difference,
>ones
>where it doesn't. As far as S meters are concerned, S stands for
>suspicion.
>Although most are supposedly 6dB/S point, it's very approximate.
>
>73
>
>Peter G3RZP

Hello Peter,

A  LARGE pileup on a single frequency sounds like white noise,
so basically you have the same detection problem as picking a
weak signal out of the background noise.  In this case, your noise
level just rose to a much higher level!

I have heard contest tapes from PJ9 where nothing was heard but
a "hissing" noise, with an occassional voice riding above the din,
all by itself.  People familiar with detection theory tell me only a few
dB is needed to rise above such a noise.

Please pass the "juice"!

de  Tom  N4KG

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]