[AMPS] 3CV1500A7

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3CV1500A7
From: w4eto@rmii.com (Richard W. Ehrhorn)
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 15:00:33 -0600
Greetings Paul...

To the best of my recollection, Eimac decided to discontinue making the
3CV1500A7 (actually a 3CX1000A7 with a boiler instead of air fins) some
time in the late 70's.

ETO had already switched to the "new" 8877 around 1972 but Eimac agreed to
make one last production run for us as a "service" to our customers. We
contacted all registered ALPHA SEVENTY owners and then committed to, I
think, 75 tubes, most of which went directly to various 70V owners.

If any of the vapor tubes have been made since then, I don't know about it.
This all suggests that the answer to your question is that they're pretty
doggone scarce!

FYI, for a year or two in the mid-70's ETO offered a factory conversion of
the 70V to use the 8877 with air cooling, and roughly half of all owners
took us up on it. Think quite a few others did conversions on their own. If
I remember
right, all the operating parameters of the original tube (possible
exception: a small change in the zener that determines operating bias) are
copasetic for the 8877. Of course one also could convert to the 3CX1000A,
but why?

73,   Dick   W0ID   (ex-W4ETO)