[AMPS] Propeties of plastics at 10 GHz

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Propeties of plastics at 10 GHz
From: W4EF@pacbell.net (Michael Tope)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 08:43:14 +-100
Gentleman:

I suspect that in the example Rich gave below, the PVC insulator
and nylon failed due dielectric breakdown caused by the high potential
present at the end of the dipole. This is not the same phenomenon as
energy absorption which will cause a steady rise in temperature. Think
about how much heat energy you would have to deliver to a PVC insulator
to cause it to burst into flames. In the case of the dipole, I think the
key factor was poor dielectric strength as opposed to dissipation factor,
Admittedly, the materials in question could still have a poor dissipation
 factor, but the fact that the materials failed in this situation doesn't
prove it.

This is a lot of intuition talking though, perhaps the displacement current
flowing at the end of dipole is significant enough to cause I^2R heating,
but I doubt it.

Flame suit prepared!

Mike, W4EF......