FW: [AMPS] hot switching

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: FW: [AMPS] hot switching
From: w4eto@rmii.com (Richard W. Ehrhorn)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 10:08:11 -0600
Hi Dave & all...

Relative to the T/R circuit you're asking about, I don't have Dick Frey's
article or any of the older handbooks where I can put my hand on 'em, but I
believe the technique he described was similar to what we used in the
earliest ALPHA amps (70V, 70A, maybe some 77D/77S models).

Don't have manuals for any of those amps handy either, but to the best of
my recollection we used a small capacitor (~1-3 pf?) to couple to the anode
(hot) end of the pi-L output tank. That cap fed I think a 40673 dual-gate
MOSFET (state-of-the-art at the time!) amp with a very low Q, broadly
resonant circuit on its drain. Simply switched in appropriate off-the-shelf
miniature inductors to approximately parallel resonate the MOSFET's output
capacitance, as I recall.

An rf clipper consisting of back-to-back 1N4148 or similar diodes protected
the MOSFET's input gate during xmit as I recall. As others have already
mentioned, the obvious advantage is elimination of relays with a circuit
 that's much cheaper and simpler than a PIN diode switch. The MOSFET made
up the small amount of receive-path gain lost in the coupling scheme and
didn't seem to significantly affect receiver overload susceptibility. (But
some of the best transceivers in those days used the same MOSFET in their
front ends, and today's front ends may be enough better that such a MOSFET
T/R switch WOULD degrade IM/intercept point, etc.)

OTOH, the amplifier output tank provided some preselection that gave some
receiver protection against out-of-band signals - including of course those
on any band that the map wasn't tuned for. It might be an interesting and
pretty simple project for some receiver bug to build such a T/R switch (or
borrow an early ALPHA 70V?) and accurately evaluate these various factors
in the context of today's best receivers.

73,    Dick