[AMPS] Low Output on 10 meters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Low Output on 10 meters
From: wrt@eskimo.com (Bill Turner, W7TI)
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 02:42:28 GMT
On Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:18:19 +0000, John / NS1Z <ns1z@agate.net>
wrote:

>INPUT TUNING: What I found to be the hot ticket has been the MFJ 259B
>antenna analyzer. Remove drive cable from your amp and connect it to the
>259, key the amp and adjust the slugs. Just watch the meters as you crank
>the slug into resonance.

I'd think twice about doing this with an antenna analyzer.  If the amp
breaks into oscillation the MFJ will be toast.  I had something
similar happen once when I was in the early stages of tweaking an amp
I was building.  I had the transceiver connected directly to the input
instead of through the changeover relay.  Everything worked fine for a
while, but one time when I changed back to receive mode, the amplifier
either oscillated or arced, not sure which, but it blew out the front
end of the receiver.  In my case it happened during changeover, but it
could have just as well happened anytime.  A word to the wise.

73, Bill W7TI