[AMPS] filament surges

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] filament surges
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 98 08:35:59 -0800

>Some of the larger tubes list the maximum surge current for filaments at
>switch on. Has anybody any idea what the limit should be for smaller tubes,
>such as 4CX250B, 4CX1000  etc?
>
>I'd guess at twice nominal operating current as a safe figure, but any
>ideas?

For indirectly heated cathode tubes, I have seen no mfg. spec. indicating
a need to limit heater inrush current.  My guess is that the hot/cold
resistance ratio in heater type cathodes is much less than that in
directly heated/thoriated-tungsten cathode tubes.  Typically,
directly-heated cathodes have a hot/cold res. ratio of 8.3 to 1.
-  later, Peter.

Rich...