[AMPS] ? Voltage Doublers as Anode Supplies

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ? Voltage Doublers as Anode Supplies
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 98 05:40:43 -0800

>Heath and I'm sure many others made a bit of coin using full-wave voltage
>doublers for their anode supplies.
>I've been trying to "design" one myself.  I've been using the output
>voltage curves in Langford-Smith (p. 1174, 4th ed.) (published in slightly
>different format in any ARRL handbook; recent ones are chapter 6) to find
>Vout given C, Rload, and Rsec.  Rsec is generally given as the sum of the
>forward resistance of the rectifiers and the transformer itself, and in the
>curves the parameter for finding Vout/Vac is Rsec/Rload.  And of course
>Iload=Vout/Rload.
>(I use Langford-Smith because many more values of Rsec/Rload are avaiable,
>especially for the doubler case).
>Findings with some questions:
>Vout/Vac is *very* sensitive to Rsec/Rload in a doubler configuration,
>compared to a standard full-wave bridge.  I suppose this is illustrated by
>the oft-published statement "doublers have crappy static regulation".  It
>almost seems unusable...under load you might be 2x Vac and with no load
>2.8x Vac...yuk.

For 100% duty-cycle RTTY and FM use, a FWD is not wonderful.  However,
for SSB (which is c.35% duty cycle), a FWD makes much DC potential, which
is precisely what one needs for linear amplification.  .  On my Web site
there is a circuit which allows the operator to switch between FWD and
FWB (full wave bridge) operation.  One SPST switch is used.

Rich...