[AMPS] Dust off the Amp & 4-1000 & 3-1000 Tube sources?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Dust off the Amp & 4-1000 & 3-1000 Tube sources?
From: Steve_Jackson@BayNetworks.COM (Steve Jackson)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 19:50:47 -0400

>Just went to a fairly large hamfest today (Gaithersburg, MD)and the

>selection of amplifier parts for sale is absolutely pathetic(nothing for

>sale). What is happening out there?

Bob

Our hobby is dying.  Oh, yes, I could perhaps phrase it differently and
with more sensitivity, but that's the truth.

The hobby requires energetic, knowledgeable persons participating with
their free time, dollars, and enthusiasm.  Unfortunately, all those with
any real abilities are either quite elderly, or completely occupied by
their modern, overwhelming work and family responsibilities.  If you are
breathing and understand Ohm's Law, the market has 10 jobs stacked up and
waiting for you today.

If you had the sort of parts you are looking for, in surplus to your
needs, would <underline>you</underline> bring them to a hamfest?  Spend
all day getting there, setting up, attempting to sell the parts (to
whom?) and then reversing the process at day's end?  Nope -- me, neither.
 I have more pressing things to do.

By the way, I'm 37, married, with 2 young children.  I assure you,
there's darned few hams younger than I am.  So, like I said... and I'm
not bitter about it, but it's the truth.

When society figures out how to end the Ponzi scheme we call Social
Security, and gives us working stiffs back the 14% of our salaries they
now steal from us for the 'trust fund' (never to be seen again by me,
I'll wager), then we'll have the ability to play ham radio -- and once
there's again a market for radio parts and not floppy drives, you'll see
them at hamfests like in the 'old days.'

Steve KZ1X/4

* * *

Bay Architecture Lab

Research Triangle Park, NC

(919) 941-1726

sjackson@baynetworks.com

<bigger>* * *

</bigger>KZ1X/4

* * *

"It is always morning somewhere in the world."

     ...inscription on the Great Sundial, Helen Keller Rose Garden

        Morehead Planetarium, University of North Carolina at Chapel
Hill

</smaller></color>