[AMPS] AL1200

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL1200
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 11:05:13 -0400

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998 11:28:38 EDT TOMK5RC@aol.com writes:

>I have an Ameritron AL1200. The parasitc suppressor flashed a number
>of times,
>only on 20 meters, and finally burned up. I replaced the resistor with
>two 120
>ohm 2 watt carbon resistors in parallel. I also widened the diameter
>of the
>coil. The parasitic has now moved up to 10 meters.
>
>Anyone with similar experiences?

There have been several iterations of the AL-1200 stability problem Tom.
Get the latest parts and info  from Ameritron.
Also carefully inspect the bandswitch for arcs.
There is also a 1N4007 diode that is used to protect the B minus rail
from rising. This diode will often short and cause high idling current
which will add to stability problems. Replace with a 1N4008....BTW this
diode not on most Ameritron schematics!

73   Carl   KM1H

>Thanks.
>
>Tom Taormina, K5RC/K7GJ
>Virginia City, NV
>
>Please check out our new Web Site
>www.ConsultPR.com or  <A HREF="http://www.consultpr.com/";>Click
>Here</A>
>
>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]